Isaiah 45:22 (KJV)
Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.
- This is the verse that Charles Spurgeon heard in a small country church on a wintery Lord’s Day which altered the course of his life. It is the verse that God used to assure him of his salvation. Upon hearing it simply expounded he realized he could do nothing to save himself; all he needed to do was to look to God. God would play the part of God in his life and do all the saving through the complete work of Christ. Just look and be saved. He looked. How about you?
- Just to update whoever who reads this, I’ve intentionally pulled away from engaging with this blog and all social media since the first day of Lent (Ash Wednesday) 2017. I’m returning now about a week before Advent 2017.
- I hope your Bible reading has gone well. I had to pull back from my aggressive plan and simplify, but I am on track to complete my 23rd year of reading through the Bible. It is a sweet foundation and a perpetual fountain for me. On a funny (or at least peculiar) note, Shannon and I had our whole family’s DNA tested this year, but we used Ancestry.com instead of 23andme.com. Weird huh? After all that.
- So, I’ll be changing the name of this blog shortly and using it for offering my annual Advent devotional.
- The devotional this year will take its title and theme from the verse above (Isaiah 45:22). “Looking to Christ During Advent” is my (rather ordinary) working title.
- The weekend after Thanksgiving is usually the start of Advent, but not this year. This year (2017) Advent begins on Sunday December 3rd.
- Consider how you and your family will set apart Advent as a special season. We like to set up a wreath and use candles. We light the candles pertinent to the week each night for dinner. It’s always exciting each Sunday when an additional candle is added to the cue for the week. And, of course, the lighting of the Christ candle in the middle on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day is the highlight. How could it be anything else?
- Here’s a link explaining what Advent is (from an apologetics viewpoint)… https://youtu.be/osUN4PQqK1M