Now he was casting out a demon that was mute. When the demon had gone out, the mute man spoke, and the people marveled.
The (nameless to us) man who was freed from a demon in this verse was also freed from the demon’s affliction. Based on this, be reminded of a few things…
- Some spiritual problems involving demons do not respond to therapy or the therapeutic approach…ever.
- These kind go out by prayer and fasting, not counseling or “patience.” (Mark 9:29)
- If we fail to discern the spiritual realm, we will be confused about certain things that happen in our world, in our lives, and in our heads. (Ephesians 6:12)
- I wouldn’t be surprised if the man and those around him just accepted the fact that he was mute. Some people are, of course. But this man’s affliction was not his, it was the demon’s. Serious Bible readers are equipped to be cautious before accepting a horizontal diagnosis for a vertical malady.
- Jesus set him free and gave him back his voice. I know a lot of people who need to be set free and need to find their voice. And I know The One who can do it for them: Jesus Christ, Our Savior and Deliverer. No kidding.
- “The mute man spoke” is an awesome testimony. Many people I know have one like it. Praise God.
- Deliverance is always something to marvel at. God’s power is such a joy for God’s people.
Lord Jesus, help me see with eyes and a mind lit up by an understanding of Scripture. Set me and everyone I know free. Restore the voices of the voiceless that they may proclaim Your Gospel and sing Your praises. Amen.